It’s a big building and we all have to figure out a way to fly together respectfully.
We have 20 minute periods, so some of your classes might be 20 minutes long, and other classes might be 80 minutes long.
How do I know when my class is over?
We don’t have bells so your teacher will dismiss you at the appropriate time. (Why don’t we have bells like other schools? Intermediate and Secondary classes are on different timetables, so the bells would be ringing all the time and interrupting learning.)
When can I go to my locker?
Some of our teaching periods are only 20 minutes long. Some of us lockers on the opposite end of the intermediate wing.
Bottom line is that we don’t really have a lot of time to spend at our lockers. Let’s try to make sure we have everything we need for class to cut down on transition times and distractions.
Generally speaking, here are the times when you can be at your locker:
- 8:35 – 8:55 AM: You can go to your locker before period 1 and get everything you need for school for the first block (periods 1-6)
- 10:55 AM: Put away your school stuff and get your stuff for first nutrition break at the end of period 6 (10:55 AM)
- 11:35 AM: Put away your nutrition break stuff and get your stuff for the second block (period 7-12)
- 1:35 PM: Put away your school stuff and get your stuff for second nutrition break at the end of period 12 (1:35 PM)
- 2:15 PM: Put away your nutrition break stuff and get your stuff for the third block (period 13-15)
- 3:15 PM Put away your school stuff and get things you need for homework at the end of period 15 (3:15 PM)
There are some exceptions:
- Your class can go to your locker to get your gym stuff. (NEVER EVER BRING PHONES or VALUABLES to the CHANGEROOMS. STUFF CAN GET STOLEN.)
- You can also go to your locker if you have a hallway pass from your teacher. (Each classroom will be given 2 wooden hallway passes.)
- A teacher or staff member can take a group of students to their locker.
Are backpacks allowed?
- As a general rule, no. Things are crowded enough as it is without people carrying a locker on their back.
- The small gym bags are allowed – they will discuss what this looks like in Phys-ed.
- We do have to be open minded and make exceptions. There are always extenuating circumstances.
Why can’t I yell in the hallways? Does it really matter?
Yes, it does matter. Our classes end at different times so if you’re yelling or shouting while getting a drink of water or moving to your next class, another class might be writing a test.
Please use an indoor voice when you’re inside.
Why am I being asked to walk on the right?
- Safety: less traffic jams / eases congestion
- Being mindful of others / building habits / learning etiquette
- Being respectful – let’s walk on the right
- We’re not going to send you to the office, but if we have to talk to you repeatedly, it’s not about the hallway, it may be about a defiance issue.
What if I forget my locker combination?
Go to the teacher first. At the start of the year, we will ask you for your locker combination and locker number. (If you change your locker info, please let us know!)
If your teacher doesn’t have the combination, go find a custodian and they’ll cut the lock off. You’ll have to buy a new lock.
Where can I buy a combination lock?
You can buy combination locks from lots of stores. You can also buy a combination lock from the main school office for around $6.00. (Prices change. Please ask at the office.)